I painted this for the book about Savannah, Georgia (bulldogs, sports team). But today I’m sharing this because I’m rattled by an experience that happened to me a few hours ago. I was nearly attacked by two large dogs. I was on my patio when they ran at me full tilt, barking aggressively (I know the difference between a bark when dogs are just messing around, and a bark that sounds like a junkyard dog who sees someone jumping over his side of the fence, or a police attack dog on command, etc.).
I yelled “No!” and held my arms out, holding a cardboard box I was planning to take to the recycling as a shield (which they could have torn through in a heartbeat, but they were distracted by it and froze). I screamed, “LEASH YOUR DOG!” to the dogs’ owners.
While the dogs were probably only secondarily distracted, I told my daughter (who was screaming and then echoed “Leash your dog!”) to go inside. She opened the door and we both popped in. My daughter heard the woman say, “they don’t bite”.
I didn’t hear that, but it’s irrelevant. As my husband said, “Everyone thinks their dog won’t bite until it does.” But it really doesn’t matter if they would have bitten me or not, the dogs were aggressive. The dogs locked eyes with me and I felt certain that they were going to attack me. It did NOT seem like just a warning bark, or an “I’m bored and will bark at strangers” bark. It felt like an “I’m going to take a bite out of you” bark. So, even if that were not true, it was clearly AGGRESSIVE and whether or not they would have bitten me if I hadn’t been a quick thinker and remembered my training for when threatened by a dog (never run, stay calm, try to distract their locked-on-you gaze, get away calmly during the window of distraction), is not the point. It was not OK! And they were in our space, near my patio where I was standing legally, whereas they were trespassing with two unleashed aggressive dogs.
They have been frequently trespassing and totally ignoring the signs not to trespass or fish in the lagoon that is behind these houses. Among other things.
I hate confrontations, but the genie is out of the bottle. There is no going back to hoping we can serve out our lease without those people knowing we are frustrated by their rule breaking (they hang out for hours on every major holiday, nice days, weekends, often- and of course it’s quite unpleasant to have them doing this just outside our yard- feels IN our yard, as the space is small). But… Now that I’ve screamed at them “LEASH YOUR DOG!” it’s a game changer, as they now know that we don’t like what they do.
I can’t say anything more about this, in case there’s a legal issue in the future. Just please think good thoughts. I need to be able to enjoy being outside. It keeps me focused on positive things and I’ve worked very hard on my garden. Oh well, these things happen. Life is never perfect. I will bounce back from this, and we’ll deal with whatever happens next. Thank you for listening. It’s not a big problem compared to the world’s horrors, it’s just a terrible day in my little world. The dogs didn’t bite me or my daughter (I think only because we got away!). But I am grateful for that! Today could have been much worse.
Subscribe to this blog (get email notifications when there’s a new post), you control how often to receive emails, cancel any time.
- Want to go to Church?If you watched the above video (a clip from this year’s Easter Show), you saw how emotional I was while singing the cover of “I Can Only Imagine”. I could barely choke out the new lyrics I added to reflect the dark times we live in. Why? Why do we get emotional when singing, painting,Continue reading “Want to go to Church?”
- New Art JourneyI’ve lost track of how many oil paintings I’ve done, but “over 200” is possibly right. My lifetime goal is over 1,000 finished oil paintings, so I’m about 1/5 of the way there. When I get closer to the goal (and after I’ve counted to be more accurate) I’ll add a progress bar to thisContinue reading “New Art Journey”
- New Cardinal FriendsNew birds have already found us at our new home. These cardinals are different, as I knew they’d be. When I was sad about leaving our “old” cardinal friends, my family was amused because they thought that any cardinal is the same as another, and surely there will be other cardinals. But I was right,Continue reading “New Cardinal Friends”
- I’m HOME!All moved in and my Internet is up. Did you miss me? I missed you! I’ll catch up when I can. Just wanted to post a short note for now.
- Moving Day!This looks nothing like the house we’re closing on, but our house IS in Savannah. I had no idea when I painted this several years ago that I’d be living nearby. This painting seems almost prophetic or foreshadowing now. I’m looking forward to setting up my new art space and digging my paintbrushes back out.Continue reading “Moving Day!”
- MOVING TOMORROW!WHEW! The issues are finally resolved and our delayed close on the house will happen TOMORROW! Tomorrow is moving day! I shall fly like this butterfly!
- S T R E S S E DToday was a highly stressful day. We still haven’t closed on the house and we are now running out of time for the moving pods, truck, cleaning service (required to close out lease), and all of the other parts of this process. I’ve worked on cleaning and loading the pod all day and am exhausted.Continue reading “S T R E S S E D”
- BAD DAYWell, there must have been a bad moon a’rising because today was a horrible day. The close on our house was cancelled, and then thankfully rescheduled, but it has caused a big mess- the moving pods and truck had to be rescheduled, the clothes and kitchen stuff that was packed needed to be unpacked, andContinue reading “BAD DAY”
- Super Laundry!My son is college age now, not a little boy like in this art for children’s book “Grandpa Smiles” (about my dad, who died before my son was born, watching over him his whole life in spirit), but he still reminds me of this funny kid. Today he was getting his laundry done because we’reContinue reading “Super Laundry!”
- Happy Day!Today we had the opportunity to bring the kids to the house we’ll be closing on. Until now, they’d only seen the pictures and video. I was nervous that they wouldn’t like the house as much as we do, but they fell in love with it as soon as they saw it. They are nowContinue reading “Happy Day!”
- Bandits!These birds have been coming around and stealing our strawberries! What a disappointment! I was enjoying a fresh berry with Cool Whip as a snack after dinner, but now my berries are gone. I’ll have to use netting in the future. Maybe when we move my strawberry plant (in a grow bag) to our newContinue reading “Bandits!”
- Easy GoingThis painting was a “free paint” project, in which there is no reference, plan, or agenda other than to let the paints flow. I start with a general idea- such as a bird in a forest- and let the art develop as I listen to music and relax. This type of exercise can help artistsContinue reading “Easy Going”
- Joyful Memories!Moving is so hard and bittersweet. The passage of time is on display with every box that is packed, every room that is emptied. Today we loaded my son’s LEGO collection onto the moving pod. The LEGOs have been shipped to Ireland and back, and have been moved across several different states in the USContinue reading “Joyful Memories!”
- WOOT!“Fred” was my dad’s nickname for me. This painting was inspired by a black and white photograph he took to complete an assignment for a photography class he was taking while stationed at Grissom Air Force Base. I was happy here because I adored my dad. He was smart, funny, and loved everyone. I feelContinue reading “WOOT!”
- Wild DaysEver feel that you live your life with reckless abandon, like these wild horses? What do they care about consequences or the worries of tomorrow? Sometimes we have a season in life when we have to take risks. One risk may lead to another, and a state of emotional numbness may take over. There’s reallyContinue reading “Wild Days”
- awwMy daughter brought me one of the boxes she packed herself for our move, for me to load onto the POD container. She said it was fragile, and she was concerned about other boxes crushing it. I assumed that she had wrapped up her special knickknacks but when I picked up the box it wasContinue reading “aww”
- Nature’s MusicThis painting was an experiment. A talented indie composer shared his work online and I asked if I could use it to paint what I see when I listen to his beautiful composition. This was the result. It’s hard for me to put into words what this emotion is. It’s when we have a peacefulContinue reading “Nature’s Music”
- Ooh, Pretty!These flowers are probably the closest thing I have right now to what my new “Freedom Rose” looks like, but imagine the buds and open flowers as much more yellow (not an orange yellow) and more closed/structured petals and shape (like a perfect little rose). I’ll take a picture of my roses in the nearContinue reading “Ooh, Pretty!”
- LOL, PumpkinI planted a couple of pumpkins in grow bags and decided that I’d take those to the new house. Well, one of the pumpkins decided to expand itself practically overnight into a gloriously sprawling vine with very large leaves and close to flowering! Yikes, LOL, that’s going to be a ridiculous thing to move. IContinue reading “LOL, Pumpkin”
- Bearing UpThe PODS container was dropped off today. I spent hours packing the first round of our household, mostly by myself. I felt victorious, like this bear. I’m STRONG! And now, I’m already sore, LOL! Got a lot done and tomorrow I will have help, which is good because I’ve probably done myself in. Moving heavyContinue reading “Bearing Up”
- Lead me HOME!When I painted this city of Savannah oil painting, I had no idea that I’d one day live not very far from this fountain square. The lyrics of this song are serendipitous! Fortunately the home I’m headed for is still here on Earth. I spent the day packing and cleaning for the move, but alsoContinue reading “Lead me HOME!”
- Strawberry Mine!Guess what’s ready to eat already? I had the most delicious vibrant red fresh strawberry with a bit of whipped cream, MMMM! But you know what’s the most delicious of all? The fact that I get to keep my strawberry plant and enough of my garden that I’m not losing my garden after all! IContinue reading “Strawberry Mine!”
- Moving Soon!Oil painting “Autumn Cottage”, time lapse video to watch Natalie paint this art, journey of move during housing crisis
- HAPPY EASTER!
- Be Thou my VisionI hope you are enjoying this Easter weekend with loved ones and are feeling peace in your spirit. I’ve uploaded the Easter Show 2022 in separate short videos of the different segments (two oil paintings “Easter Lily” and “Jesus at Calvary”, two songs “I’ll Fly Away” and Irish hymn “Be Thou my Vision”). The bestContinue reading “Be Thou my Vision”
- New Painting “Jesus at Calvary”On this Good Friday of Holy Week, 2022, may we reflect on the beauty of deliverance, redemption, forgiveness, mercy, and hope- and manifest these things in our present and future. These are challenging days. Wishing you strength and peace. God bless you and your families.
- HAPPY NEWS!Thought this joyful hymn was a good choice to celebrate my good news update: WE GOT THE HOUSE! We still have the inspection and the close to go, so it’s not the end of the journey yet, but our offer was accepted. If all goes well, we’ll have a home to move into on MayContinue reading “HAPPY NEWS!”
- New Painting “Easter Lily”This video is a segment from the Easter Show 2022. It shows live painting in real time and then the footage is sped up via time lapse (to shorten the video time). This painting is currently still wet on my easel. It will take several more days or weeks to set completely. You can seeContinue reading “New Painting “Easter Lily””
- Missed it?If you missed last year’s Easter Show, here it is. It’s quite different from the 2022 show in many ways, but yet the general format is the same: painting and singing. This one has a story that runs via captions, and it’s more about family and tradition than this year’s deeply spiritual show. If you’veContinue reading “Missed it?”
- Show on YouTubeMy Easter Painting Variety Show is now on YouTube, for those who prefer that platform for easy sharing. The best video quality is here on this site though, so you may want to view it here if you’ve not already seen it. I’ll make smaller clips soon of the individual segments so you can view/shareContinue reading “Show on YouTube”
- Holy Week BeginsOn this Palm Sunday, may you feel encouragement for the week ahead and the hope that Easter and spring instills. Today we put down an offer on a house- alongside at least six other competing offers! We don’t know how things will go for us, but we are expectant and hopeful, excited, and willing toContinue reading “Holy Week Begins”
- EASTER SHOW LAUNCHED!HERE IT IS! Launching my new Easter Painting Show now, to give you time to share this special video with your family, friends, and social media. If you feel this show has value, please consider making a donation toward my future work. Every little bit helps, as I am self funded. Thank you, and IContinue reading “EASTER SHOW LAUNCHED!”
- Show UpdateI finished the final taping segment for my Easter show today! When the video is finished I will launch the show, giving you time to share it with family and friends ahead of (and on) Easter weekend. I hope you will find the show entertaining and joyful, yet powerful and inspiring. View my previous showsContinue reading “Show Update”
- Faith over FearWell, we finally got our pre-approval, but the house hunting news is bleak. First of all, we couldn’t get the loan type we wanted, and there are many extra costs. Secondly, apparently the housing market is so insane that people are snatching up houses the very first day they are listed and having bidding wars.Continue reading “Faith over Fear”
- They’re Back!Today was a horrible day- seeing a painted bunting was one of the few good things about it, so I’ll focus on that. Painted buntings are migratory birds so their presence is relatively brief. It’s always a delight to see them! See the 3 short videos I took of a painted bunting from past seasons.Continue reading “They’re Back!”
- Packing UpI spent several hours today packing up my art in preparation for our unexpected move. You can probably recognize ones I’ve shared with you (in the photo below), especially the wolf painting at the bottom because you’ve just seen it again in the video on today’s blog. These are various sizes of canvas, and allContinue reading “Packing Up”