Watch this lighthouse painting come to life in 1 minute (time lapse)
I share this one when I’m feeling melancholic, flitting back and forth between faint optimism and bittersweet sentiment, and a gloomy premonition that something bad is about to happen. This sense of doom is partly an empathetic response to the way the wind is shifting on the world stage on a particular day, and partly a personal, individual perspective that is complicated and unique to me (although my own emotions are often astonishingly in sync with other fellow humans, even with people I’ve never met).
Melancholy can be channeled into beautiful things. I tend to be more introspective and lost in my art when I’m feeling a bit blue. Depression or a funk is a different state, and I find no benefit to emotions so low as to be unproductive and damaging to one’s health. So I’m definitely not advocating for sadness that causes a person to have difficulty leading a normal life. What I mean is the kind of sadness that put us in a quiet, restful state that may evolve into empathy; a profound connection to fellow humans and our shared plight. This state of being is a good foundation for creating art.
When you’re feeling a bit blue, embrace those emotions by channeling them into a project you can escape into, as if alone at sea on a peaceful cloudy day, in which you can just see the comforting glow from a lighthouse. You won’t lose your way home. Stay in the cold murky waters for a while. Take in the beauty of the moment; as our joy is defined by our sadness. When we don’t know sadness, we may struggle to fully appreciate joy.
When we are weary, the lighthouse will lead us back to the shore. We can rest, and let our breath flow out, relaxed, letting go of all of our concerns. As we lay our heads on our pillows that night, we sleep deeply; our fears lose their grip, our sadness lifts, and when we waken in the morning our energy is restored.
- Easter Painting Show
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- New Painting – “Piano Portrait”
- New Painting – “Celtic Harp”
- New Painting – “Ballet Shoes”
- New Painting – “Tap Shoes”
- New Painting – “Mountain Dulcimer”
- 2023 Painting Collection Revealed
- New Painting – “Chickadees in Holly”
- CHRISTMAS PAINTING SHOW 2022! Enjoy!
- New Show!
- Last Month of Autumn
- New Painting – “Thanksgiving Turkey & Pumpkins”
- New Painting – “Alabama Landscape”
- New Painting Finished!
- Back to Work! Session 3
- Today’s Painting
- New Painting in Progress
- New Painting – “Lion in Storm”
- New month, new direction!
- New Painting – “Coffee Outside”
- New Painting – “Frog in Garden”
- Hymn for Cardinal Painting
- New Painting – “Cardinal in July”
- Go Light your World
- New Painting
- Hymn for Lighthouse Painting